Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Solitude Of Running Alone

(You can receive this Blog via email by entering your address on the right.)

I like to run alone. There is something inviting to me about the quiet, the pace, and the contemplation that I have when I run alone.

Sometimes I listen to music on my iPod. Sometimes I would run on the treadmill (in the winter when I lived in Maryland), and watched Headline News with the sound off, praying for the people in the news stories.

Many times I listen to and watch nothing, except the sound of my feet hitting the trail as it unfolds.

On rare occasions I will run with someone who invites me. But usually I decline. Maybe I am afraid I can't keep up, or that I'll quit before they are finished. Or maybe, I simply like the solitude of running alone.

When I run alone, I create, I meditate, I write songs. Sometimes I just I listen to God.

My wife likes to kayak. Alone. She tells me it is her chance for solitude. When she is out on the water, she thinks, she creates, and she listens to God.

Many times the experiences we have in our solitude play a big part in enhancing our relationship with each other. There is something to be said for solitude.

And so I run alone.

Question: What do you like about solitude, or do you dislike it? Share your thoughts below in 'comments'.

If you like this post, please re-post it to your followers. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...