Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Scenes From A Hat

Click here to read about my upcoming trip to India!

(You can subscribe to this Blog via email by entering your email information on the right.)

The show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" featured a game called Scenes From A Hat, where the host would randomly choose "scenes" that were compiled from audience suggestions, written on slips of paper, and placed in a hat (such as "What is the worse thing that has ever happened to you at work?"). Then the participants would act out the scene, usually with a hilarious result.
Each actor, in his or her own comedic way, could take a mundane and common scene (think: situation, relationship encounter, or everyday challenge) and make it laughable, oftentimes causing us to laugh at ourselves because of the absurd ways we tend to handle those scenes.

I know I would laugh as I identified with the situation and the response. Like me, most people can relate to the game Scenes From A Hat.

For most of us, life is like Scenes From A Hat. Daily we are faced with common and everyday situations, relationship encounters, and challenges. But instead of being an actor in a comedy "game" show, we are real people, dealing with real situations, which demand our response.

How do you react when faced with a selfish co-worker? How do you respond when asked to stay late and finish a project because your boss didn't plan well? When someone pulls out in front of you while driving, what is your first thought?

Just as the actors on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" get a few seconds to prepare, you actually have a few seconds to prepare your response.

Here are a few statements you can say to yourself, not just when engaging a Scene From A Hat, but as you begin every day, every relationship encounter, every meeting, every homework session with your kids, every conversation with your spouse:

  • I will be kind.
  • I will listen.
  • I will be grateful.
  • I will understand from the other person's perspective.
  • I will assume the other person has a legitimate reason for what they do.
  • I will not be selfish.
  • I will not make it about me.

You can survive life's Scenes From A Hat. All it takes is a little bit of life preparation, a character that is grounded in others over self, and maybe a Twix candy bar (you figure it out...).

Question: What do you do when faced with real life Scenes From A Hat? Share your thoughts below in 'comments.

If you like this post, you can re-post it, 'share' it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like at the top right of this page.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...