Tuesday, September 03, 2013

I Survived A Power Outage

(You can subscribe to this Blog via email by entering your address on the bottom right pop-out.)

The power went out on Sunday evening. An electrical storm blew through and not only left a lot of rain, but also left a bunch of dark houses.
I could almost hear the groans of my close neighbors. I definitely heard the complaints of my local Facebook friends: More rain, no power...

Most of us, when our power goes out, see it somewhere along the continuum of inconvenience to tragedy. Me, I didn't react to the power outage until the power came back on about four hours later. These were my thoughts:
  • I am not one of the 1.2 billion people who don't have power to go out.
  • I got to have a conversation with my daughter around a flashlight.
  • I got to synchronize my clocks perfectly! (I have OCD, though I am recovering...)
  • It has been over a year since the power went out last at my house, much different from the daily power cuts in India.
  • The same storm that knocked out our power also cooled everything off so being without air conditioning was not an issue.
  • I spent some time reading by candlelight.
  • I was grateful for the power company employees who went out on their Sunday to make my life easy.
So I am learning to:
  • Appreciate what I have.
  • Not covet what I don't have.
  • Respond to the unexpected with creativity, making the most of every situation.
Question: How do you react when the power goes out? Share your thoughts below in 'comments'.

If you like this post, you can re-post, 'share' it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...