Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Creative Addiction

(You can subscribe to this Blog via email by entering your address on the bottom right pop-out.)

My name is Brad, and I have a problem. It began when I was in Jr. High School. It got worse in High School. Then into College and adulthood.
Now, after so many years of dealing with it, I still cannot resist: When I hear a song, I am drawn to break it apart and evaluate it musically. (You really didn't expect me to confess a substance abuse problem did you?)

I follow the chord structure. I harmonize. I analyze the lyrics. I wouldn't have chosen that word I tell myself. (Once while driving my daughter to school and listening to the radio, I made that comment about a song. Her response: They are the one with a song on the radio, not you Dad. Touché!)

Why do I do this? Why don't I simply listen to a song, sing along, and simply say I love that song?

Because I have a creative addiction.

I think that all of us who are creative have something inside of us that causes us to evaluate, to scrutinize, to improve. (And I believe that all of us are creative because we are all made in the image of the Great Creator.)

I like to call it creativity. You may display it in drawing or painting. Someone else may manifest it in writing and wordsmithing. Another may carry a beat in their head that they apply to other songs. (Know anyone who is always drumming with their fingers?) I believe that all of us have it.

So don't judge me if I tell you that most songs contain only four basic chords. Don't avoid me simply because I hum along, harmonizing with train horns. And don't think I am weird for trying to find the elusive word that rhymes with orange.

There aren't any 12-step programs for recovering creatives that I'm aware of. But if there were, I think it would be fun to go, and to confess my need to harmonize with any random tone that I hear. I think I would be accepted, because I believe that there are a lot of people out there that share my same creative addiction.

Question: Do you have a creativity addiction Share your addiction below in 'comments'.

If you like this post, you can re-post, 'share' it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...