Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Road Trip To Mom's

My wife and daughter left for Florida for my daughter's graduation trip, spending time with our son and his wife in Ft. Lauderdale. My oldest son is working all the time and is rarely home. So I found myself home alone (with Jack-Jack, may daughter's Chihuahua...although with her rarely home anymore, he has become my wife's and my dog).

Before my wife left, she suggested that I go see my Mom, so I decided to take some vacation time and visit her in Kentucky. I'm glad I did.

The 10 hour road trip was uneventful for Jack-Jack and me. I suggested singing and playing the license plate game, but Jack-Jack was uninterested in both. He simply wanted to lay in my lap for the entire journey, except for the times we stopped for gas and at rest stops, to uh... rest.

Well, Mom was glad I came to see her. I chose not to surprise her. I had done that a few years earlier with an unannounced visit, and my sisters and our families, along with my Mom's only brother, had a surprise 80th birthday party for her two years ago. Too many surprises may not be good for a 82-year-old's heart...so my sister whom she lives with made sure my Mom knew I was coming.

So why am I glad I came? Right now I'm sitting in a doctors office waiting room while my Mom is having a previously scheduled Doppler ultrasound test. No, my Mom does not have a storm brewing inside of her. The test is to see the condition of her carotid artery, which had given her some trouble and put her in the hospital last December.

Why am I glad I came? My Mom has talked to me non-stop. After all, I am her favorite son (read only son). She has been telling stories, updating me on her health, and pretty much being my Mom. She is letting me tell her about my trips to India, and commenting on how dangerous it is.

Why am I glad I came? Well, this is my only Mother, and as I get older (and so does she) I'm realizing the value of maintaining and further developing my relationship with her.

She deserves it.

Question: When have you been glad you chose to do something valuable in a relationship?

If you like this post, please re-post or Twittter it to your followers.

7 comments:

Covnitkepr1 said...

Brad...my brother and I would make a monthly trip to Ohio to visit our mother. We did so for several years. We would always talk about the day when these trips were no longer necessary after her death, but that we'd be glad we took the time and effort while she was alive and that we'd have no regrets.
We were right.

Brad Lewis said...

Covnitkepr1-
Stories like yours are very encouraging. The example you set for your children in visiting and caring for your Mother will create a legacy that you will benefit from. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

That was a lovely post. I often miss my mother and wish if I could just see her face to face more often than I do. The distance of the whole Atlantic Ocean between us makes me sad many times but I wish that somehow in the future we could manage to be together again. I just love her so much.

@aspanishdiary

Brad Lewis said...

Thank you Spanish. I understand the distance challenge. But when you do see her, it will make it that much more special!

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

Teresa said...

My husband and I just happened to return today from a trip to Western MD to visit my Mom and Dad. We hadn't seen them in a while due to finances, work etc. and we are so happy we left since they both have been having more medical problems lately.

God Bless all our Mothers and Fathers!

Brad Lewis said...

Teresa-
Good for you guys! Our parents are worth it. Thanks for sharing!

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...