Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Dropbox

(You can receive this Blog via email by entering your address on the right.)

This morning as I drove my normal route to my job, I passed a business that specialized in clothing alterations. I pass it every day, but today I noticed something I hadn't seen before: A Dropbox. Someone was placing something (an article of clothing I surmised) through the Dropbox door. I also noticed a sign I had not observed before: 24 Hour Dropbox.

The Dropbox. They have been around it seems forever: the mailbox, the Redbox, the key drop, the ATM, the book drop.

We place things inside, certain that what we placed inside will be safe and available for retrieval by trusted parties.

In the world of cloud computing we have available many options of "dropboxes". Justcloud, Mozy, Carbonite, iCloud, and of course Dropbox to name a few. (This post is not a review of the top 10 online storage services.)

I use a couple of these services. I am glad I do: Because of a user error (me) on my iMac Time Machine, I failed to backup some of my important files. Fortunately I had been a little too redundant and had them available in my Dropbox.

What is my point in all of this for us? Simply this: You and I have a Dropbox. Some call it the mind, others call it the soul. Whatever label we give it, we put things (ideas, thoughts, lessons, truths, etc.) inside and either expect to retrieve them later, or they surface without our search.

Our Dropbox is without a doubt a valuable asset in our lives. But we need to take advantage of it.

Here are some tips on using our Dropbox:

-We need to be proactive and put things inside our Dropbox. Learn, read, listen, engage. Nothing will be there for later retrieval if we don't put something inside.

-We need to be selective about what we put inside our Dropbox. Choose positive, productive, and beneficial things to put inside.

-We need to retrieve what is inside our Dropbox. If it is there, use it, learn from it, build on it, create from it.

Some parting thoughts from a wise man: Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. (Proverbs 4:23)

Question: What have you found to be important about the Dropbox that you have? Share your thoughts below in comments.

If you like this post, you can re-post, put it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Great blog brad. I love the comment about the positive. Even though we live in a fallen world I think it is so important to fill our minds with the good we can draw from any situation so that our minds are not numb to looking for it. Blessings!!!

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...