Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Blind Side...What Is Your Destiny?


What defines your life? What will your life look like when it's over? When it's all been said and done, what is your destiny?

Many people think that their destiny is to do some great exploit or some great act of heroism. I used to think that my destiny was to have the perfect ministry job, or to speak to large crowds of people, or to go on great mission trips. I even thought that I would one day be a hero and perform some type of lifesaving act for one or more people. (I still have dreams of writing that one great worship song that will be sung in churches all around the world.)

I began to realize that my destiny was not going to be defined by one or even a few significant events and highlights in my lifetime, but rather it would be defined by the consistent acts of service that I demonstrated in the lives of others, and the impact that I have on the lives of the people around me.

I saw that there are people whom I know that I can influence to a greater good (encouraging hope, creativity and leadership skills in them), and that there are people all around me (call them strangers for lack of a better term) who are hurting and needy, and could use a touch from me. That touch can come from an encouraging word, from meeting a physical need, or simply by stopping to talk to them (and even pray with them). In doing so I am either verbally or through my actions demonstrating God's love for them.

By the way, there is a movie being released on November 20th called "The Blind Side". According to the Internet Movie Database: "The Blind Side" depicts the remarkable true story of Michael Oher, a homeless African-American youngster from a broken home, taken in by the Touhys, a well-to-do white family who help him fulfill his potential.

From the preview it looks like a great movie about destiny, at least how I am defining it in this Blog. We'll wait and see.

But for now, allow me to say that the perfect job or ministry may come, and the great crowds may still be there for me. I may even come across a burning building and rescue a stranded occupant. (Who knows, that hit worship song may still be bubbling in my spirit.) But I know that my destiny will be fulfilled everyday, by pouring into the lives of people I know, and by looking for ways to minister to the people I don't know.

Now that's a destiny I want.

For a complete discussion of this topic, click here to watch a video (or listen to the audio) of me teaching at my church recently on Destiny.  The teaching title is "Sunday: Needs to Destiny".

4 comments:

Claude Musy said...

To become great, according to
Philippians, chapter 2, is to become nothing.

"Let your attitude be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who being in very nature God,
did not consider it something to be grasped,
but made Himself nothing.
And being found in the appearence of man,
He humbled Himself
And became obedient to death-
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place
and gave Him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on the earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

mistica said...

My Destiny and Desire:
To, "Follow peace with all men and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:" Heb.12:14

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Eccl.12:13

Brad Lewis said...

Mistica-
Yes, yes, and yes!

Brad Lewis said...

Claude-
You touched on one of the greatest oxymoronic truths of the Bible. May we all seek to become nothing...but not for the purpose of ultimately becoming great.

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...