Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Batman: The $158 Million Superhero

I guess you have heard by now that the new Batman movie "The Dark Night" took in a record $158.4 million in its opening weekend, making it the highest grossing movie opening in history. This "historical event" has raised some questions in my mind.

Allow me to share a few of these questions without comment (although the questions themselves are motivated by my comments). I invite you to respond or comment yourself at the end of this post.

What would motivate the American public to spend $158 million on a comic-book character's movie?

With gas sitting at about $4 a gallon and the public outcry about it getting louder, why was so much spent on this celluloid creation? (Maybe there were an extraordinary number of car-poolers at the multiplex.)

Were people exercising their voyeuristic tendencies by watching the now deceased Heath Ledger act in his final role?

Are the members of our society looking for a hero, a villain, or a police commissioner to identify with?

Is our collective culture seeking to find some kind of heroic rescue from their own personal Gotham Cities?

Thoughts?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we say good stewardship. Hey, I like some sci-fi, but I can wait until it comes out on dvd or wait for it to go on sale. We can't wait anymore is my belief. So we pay for it, even if it hurts us. Tina Turner, said it best in her Thunder Dome song, "we don't need another hero...."

Brad Lewis said...

Anonymous-

I think you hit it directly when you mentioned stewardship and patience. Why wait when we can pay for it and get it now.

It seems that in the dark world of our Gotham City that we call our society, impatience, indulgence and indiscriminate spending prevail.

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...