Friday, January 25, 2008

Applause?

Watching the barrage of coverage for the presidential candidates is leaving me with a bit of a stomachache. Kind of like when I eat too much of something and I start to feel sick. You know the feeling.

What has interested me though, is the amount of applause that is being offered up to the candidates. Each setting is different, but the clapping and cheering are still the same.

Applause is a two-edged sword. On the one hand (no pun intended), it encourages the receiver to go forward, press on and work harder. But on the other hand (still no pun), it can become like a drug that causes people to do things so they can receive more.

Ah, which brings me to the questions that I am so fond of asking not only to myself, but to others: Why do you do what you do? Is it because you have a deep-seated need to express yourself in the area that you have been gifted (profession, arts, sports, etc.)? Or do you simply do it for the applause?

Each and every one of us were created with gifts, talents and abilities. Are we using those gifts, talents and abilities to receive applause (it can come in other forms than just clapping), or are we exercising those gifts, talents and abilities to make life better for others? Which brings me to another one of those questions: Are we living for ourselves or for others?

When the applause are over, how do you feel? Empty? Fulfilled? Wanting more?

Think about it. I applaud your consideration.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...