Tuesday, July 19, 2016

I Lost My Glasses!

(You can receive this Blog every week via email by entering your address on the right.)

A while back, when I opened my backpack and took out my glasses case, it was empty. I had lost my glasses. I expected them to be in my glasses case. But they weren’t there.
I didn't panic. I am a planner, a big picture visionary, and an adapter. One of my Clifton Strengthsfinder Themes is Strategic: ...creating alternative ways to proceed.

As a result, I have planned ahead and I keep an extra pair of drugstore reading glasses in my desk just for situations like this.

Also being strategic, I was also able to quickly back-track my movements, and remembered the last time I wore them: Sitting on a friend’s couch while we swapped technology ideas. I am sure I left them on his couch.

So no worries, all is good. I was able to make it through the day, and I retrieved my glasses that evening.

Allow me to use “losing my glasses” as a metaphor for when things don’t go the way we planned. We have expectations from others, but they let us down. We chose a driving route but the road is closed. We expect pizza, but we get served soup.

How do we react when we "lose our glasses" and don't have a back-up plan? (No internet connection, floor monitor on the wrong side, slightly-off color paint, blue pen instead of black... You get the picture.)

Do we fuss, fret, and become hard to be around? Or do we adapt, and make the best of what we have?

Life is full of “losing our glasses”. In fact, most of us go through every day and “lose our glasses” in one form or another.

As for me, I adapted to my contingent drugstore reading glasses. My colleagues in the office asked me when I started wearing glasses (go figure). The lenses are too strong and I got a slight headache. And, they look really tacky. But hey, they worked!

Question: How do you adapt when you "lose your glasses"? Share your thoughts below in responses.

If you like this post, you can re-post it, 'share' it on your Facebook status, 'Tweet' it, or forward it to your friends. Subscribe to regular postings of this Blog on the top right of this page.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...