Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Remember Art Class

(You can receive this Blog via email by entering your address on the right.)

For some reason, I was remembering my seventh grade art class the other day. I don't remember much about my seventh grade experience, but for some reason, I remember what I learned in art class.

I distinctly remember the teacher (I think it was a she) teaching us different art styles (impressionism, modern, cubism, expressionism, realism, surrealism, etc.) in a way that obviously had an effect on me (hey, I was able to list those styles).

After she had taught the different styles over a period of weeks, she asked us to draw pictures of the same object, representing those styles. Same subject, different styles. She told us to choose something we liked. I, being a typical 13 year old boy living during the Vietnam war, chose a jet fighter, much like the ones I saw on the news every evening.

Here's where the impact was made on my life: she asked us to draw pictures of a subject we liked, as opposed to an assigned subject. Sure my F-4 Phantom jet looked unusual in an impressionism style, but I remember to this day what impressionism art is!

What's my point? I was greatly influenced by a person who allowed me to be a part of the learning process, simply by allowing me to choosing a subject for my drawings. Our influence can be greatly expanded by involving those whom we influence to be part of the learning process. I would call it ownership.

Question: Who are you letting be an owner? Share your thoughts below in comments.

If you like this post, you can re-post, put it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...