Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The Best vs. The Next

I recently had a conversation (spirited exchange) with a colleague on the subject of which musicians to use in our church's band. He said we ought to use the same "A" players every week. I countered with the idea that we should have rotating teams using a combination of the "A" players, and younger "B" players.

I understand his rationale: always have the very best in the most prominent place. But I am also driven to investing into, and giving opportunity to developing musicians. By exposing the "B" players to the "A" players, they gain valuable experience and mentoring.

Plus, the musician pool is larger, giving opportunity for players to be involved in other ministries. And, the likelihood for burnout because of overuse is lessened.

I'm sure there are many opinions on this. Have you got one?

Question: What are your thoughts on using developing musicians alongside of seasoned ones? Share your thoughts below in comments.

(If you like this post, please re-post it or Twittter it to your followers. Follow me @Bigcloudmusic on Twitter if you find me interesting.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...