Tuesday, May 31, 2016

When You Wish Upon A Star

(You can receive this Blog every week via email by entering your address on the right.)

Most of us recognize that song, or at least make a connection to it from their visits to Disney World.

Released in 1940 as part of Walt Disney's adaptation of Pinocchio, this iconic song ultimately became the representative song of the Walt Disney Company.

Is life that easy? If all we have to do is Wish upon a star, then will all of our dreams come true?


I don't think so. I am not taking this space to criticize the Walt Disney Company (Disney was, and still is a big part of my childhood, my children's childhood, and their children's childhood). I must though, take issue with the fantasy of simply wishing and waiting. There must be some working also.


If wishing and waiting were all that is needed for dreams to come true, then why aren't all of the people who buy lottery tickets instead of looking for supplemental income (or primary income jobs) rich?


I am not simply advocating that if we work hard and stay diligent, we will be successful. Look at all of those who have worked hard and failed. (Interestingly, most of those who have worked hard and failed, continued to work hard and ultimately succeeded.)


What about luck, knocking on wood, and lucky stars (there I go wishing upon a star again)? Well this guy finds no scientific, statistical, or even anecdotal evidence that luck plays a factor in success.


Understand also that my Christian worldview is tied to faith: I believe that God wants to work in my behalf to bring about events, relationships, and "open doors" that will lead to my success and benefit as it relates to His plan for me. It's not "name it and claim it". Nor is it "woe is me, I'm just a sinner saved by grace".


I believe that God wants to bless me. But I also believe that God is more concerned with my holiness then He is concerned about my happiness.

So what do we do? I believe it's good to:

  • Dream. Picture how you would like to see yourself in the future. Hopefully it's not you doing and being exactly the same as you are now, just older.
  • Conceptualize. List some specifics. Have some measurable goals that will help you see your dreams fulfilled.
  • Plan. Put together a strategy that will allow you to reach your goals, and to measure your progress towards them.
  • Work. You must work your plan. No plan will ever come to pass without the effort invested.
  • Pray. I wouldn't leave this to last, but rather I suggest starting with prayer. Ask God what His dreams are for you. Dreaming His dreams are guaranteed to set you on the right path.
All of us eventually go home from visiting Disney World. But that doesn't mean we have to stop dreaming. Dream yes, but also do!

If you like this post, you can re-post it, 'share' it on your Facebook status, 'Tweet' it, or forward it to your friends. Subscribe to regular postings of this Blog on the top right of this page.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...