Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Easy Rider

(You can subscribe to this Blog via email by entering your address on the bottom right pop-out.)

My son Zach is taking a road trip on his big bike this week. After four years of riding a Honda Metro through the streets of Ft. Lauderdale, he traded up to a big road bike. And he is coming to visit us!
The father in me is nervous. It's a long way to our house on a motorcycle.

I had him promise to take breaks. I have helped him map a route that avoids the interstate. I have even convinced Zach to let me track his iPhone during the trip so I can know right where he was at any given moment.

His mother is even more nervous than I am. But that 's what parents are supposed to do: Be nervous when their children attempt risky things.

But a big part of me is proud of him. Zach is pursuing a passion that he has had for several years. He's always wanted a big motorcycle. He's always wanted to travel on it. Deep inside of my son is a desire for adventure, a quest for the unknown.

He demonstrated that desire when he joined me earlier this year in India. He explored new areas. He engaged the local people. He tried new foods. He took risks.

That sounds a lot like his dad.

I am not sure that I have had a desire to ride a big bike on long trips. My adventurous passion has been to go into the remote villages of India among the unreached people groups with the Good News of Jesus.

So as a fellow adventurer and risk-taker, I applaud my son. I tell him to go ahead and ride the 12 hours to visit us. I encourage him to step out and try something new. And because I know his heart, I know that it will be an easy ride for him.

Question: What are you doing to encourage the passion within yourself and in your children? Share your thoughts below in 'comments'.

If you like this post, you can re-post, 'share' it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...