Tuesday, November 22, 2011

ThanksGiving Or ThankSharing

For as long as I can remember, I have sought to go against the status quo, to buck the system. Instead of doing what everyone else is doing, I desire to make my own way. Some call it rebellion. I like to think of it as creativity.

Oftentimes when we redefine something in new terms, we find ourselves rediscovering something that we already knew, but have become so familiar with that it no longer carries the weight it once did.

Automobile manufacturers redesign the same model of car every few years. Worship leaders are doing this with the old hymns, singing them with a new style or writing a chorus that complements the original song.

It's not reinventing the wheel. It's putting an alloy rim and a low profile tire on it.

So consider ThanksGiving. What does it mean to you? How do you celebrate? Has it become solely a day of stuffing more than the turkey and watching football on TV?

I have renamed it ThankSharing. Not a change-the-culture move, but only for my personal benefit. Why: To refocus it away from just the prayer before the "big meal" to asking myself, What can I do to share the blessings that I have?

I'm probably not going to volunteer at a soup kitchen or give the homeless guy with a cardboard sign on the corner extra money. Rather, I am going to share more: Encouragement, kindness, food, possessions, hope. And not just to make me feel better. But as a way to really give thanks.

Question: What can you do to redefine ThanksGiving in your life? Share your thoughts below in comments.

If you like this post, you can re-post, put it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...