Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Spectator Or Participant

For the first time on 20+ years, I will not be participating in some form of Christmas musical production. I have either produced, written, directed, acted, played in the band/orchestra, set-constructed, staged-handed or some combination of those. I miss it.

I truly hope that I can say with all honesty that the main thing I miss is not the spotlight, the applause, and my name in the playbill. Rather, the thing I miss most is being a part of a multiple-entity that joined together, produces a grand display for others to be challenged by, encouraged, and moved by.

Is this because I am a creative, and I desire to invest my creativity into other's lives? I'll admit that is a great part of it. But I also believe that people desire to be a part of something greater than themselves, something that joins multiple people and giftings, and creates an entity bigger than them.

Which leads me to the question: Why are so many people content with being spectators, rather than participants? I am not referring to musical productions. But rather to life. Why are many people satisfied with watching the parade instead of marching in it?

Or are they satisfied?

Perhaps deep down everyone longs to be a part of something big, something that combines them with others to produce a greater whole. If that is true, then I hope I can be one who motivates others to take that first step.

Find people who share your passion or gifting. Join yourself to a cause that fulfills your desire to contribute. Align yourself with an organization that invests into others, and seeks to change lives.

This year I plan to attend a production written by a friend and former collaborator. I will sit in the audience, but I will not be satisfied with being a mere spectator. Instead, I plan on encouraging and motivating those who are involved, and therefore becoming a participant.

Question: What are your thoughts on people desiring to be participants rather than spectators? Share your thoughts below in comments.
If you like this post, you can re-post, put it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...