Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Old Fashioned Way

I got an email from an old friend today (that's what he put in the subject line: Old Friend). We met right after our high school graduations, and became fast friends.

He was from Atlanta, I from South Florida, and we worked hard at making our paths cross over the next several years. But, families were started, careers were pursued, and life happened. We lost touch after time and haven't connected for over 20 years.

He told me in the email that he was driving through Oklahoma and thought of a guy who mentored both of us, began to think of me, found me through my Blog, and there he was in my inbox.

I responded to him via email and asked if he was on Facebook. His response: Not on Facebook. We'll have to catch up the old fashioned way... by cell phone.

Wow, when did cell phones become old fashioned? I know of more and more people stopping their home phone service because of their cell phones. I also know of more and more people who skip email and communicate through Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms. Are these forms of communication becoming old fashioned?

It seems that technology is changing so quickly, what was once fashionable is quickly becoming old fashioned. iCloud is replacing MobileMe, smart phones are replacing cell phones, apps are replacing programs. As another friend of mine put it: we live in a post-PC world.

I love the advances in technology, and the benefit they bring to our lives. I'm glad I can leverage social media, technology and communication to increase my influence. But there's nothing like an old fashioned face-to-face conversation.

I will call my old friend on his old fashioned cell phone. But I will also encourage him to come and visit so we can have an old fashioned face-to-face conversation.

Question: What do you consider old fashioned in our modes of communication? Share your thoughts below in comments.

If you like this post, please re-post, put it on your Facebook status, or forward it to your friends. Follow me on Twitter @bigcloudmusic if you find me interesting. Subscribe to this Blog if you'd like.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...