Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Say Less, Mean More

We sure do talk a lot. We live in a world of talking heads, talk radio, cell phones, chat rooms, Twitter, text messages, instant messages, status updates, comments on updates and comments on tagged photos. Whether we use our mouths, our MacBooks or our thumbs (pro texters will follow that), countless words leave us and move through the atmosphere and through cyberspace.

Often what we have to say is important. Many times it is complementary to what another has already shared. Sometimes it's just plain rhetoric. In the end, it is up to us to determine if what we have to say is really worth saying.

I remember once getting caught by my mother in a lie (I was a young boy of eight). After she confronted me on the issue and asked if I had done the deed , she said, "Be careful with what you say." Well I wasn't careful and Mom knew it wasn't the truth. Needless to say, I paid the price. (I can't remember what I did - I just remember the consequence for my lying.)

Maybe Mom's advice isn't just for eight-year-old boys who have the opportunity to lie. Maybe we all ought to consider to "Be careful with what you say." Maybe we'd say a lot less, but it would mean a lot more.

No comments:

COVID Wreaks Havoc In India

  The situation in India is bleak, but the Kingdom of God is expanding... I know you have seen news reports of the huge increase of COVID ca...